一孕婦去星巴克買咖啡,店員服務過頭,路人急了……

滬江英語2019-06-24 23:13:26


2019.06.18

週二 Tuesday

overrate

 [,əuvə'reit] 

v. 過高評價



做生意

搞辯論

圖片來源:視覺中國


Being right is overrated.

“我是對的”其實沒有你想的那麼重要。


So many other human nuances hold greater sway in our fact-free, give-it-to-me-now-or-else world.

在我們這個“不管事實如何,現在就給我,不然就算了”的世界裏,人類還有如此多其他方面的細微差別有着更大的影響力。


I was, therefore, rendered temporarily insensate by a story of righteousness emerging from a simple Starbucks transaction.

因此,一樁簡單的星巴克交易所引發的正義故事,讓我暫時失去了理智。


At least, it had a simple beginning.

至少,故事的開頭是很簡單的。


In the Twitter-telling of English comedian Tiffany Stevenson, a woman walked into the Starbucks and ordered what they call over there a "caramel macchiato."

英國喜劇演員蒂芙尼·史蒂文森的推特寫着,一位女士走進星巴克,點了一杯他們稱之為“焦糖瑪奇朵”的咖啡。


Stevenson described what happened next: 

史蒂文森描述了接下來發生的事情:


Unbelievable bit of womb bothering in Starbucks at services.

星巴克的服務被子宮影響了,難以置信。


A pregnant woman got her Caramel Macchiato and the guy behind the counter said: 'Oh, it's for you.' 

一位孕婦點的焦糖瑪奇朵,櫃枱後面的男人説:“噢,是你要喝呀。”


Do you want me to make a decaf?'

你要我做無咖啡因咖啡嗎?”


She said: 'No, thanks.' 

她説:“不用,謝謝。”


Him: 'No, I should because caffeine is bad for the baby.'

他説:“不,當然應該做無咖啡因的,因為咖啡因對寶寶不好。”


Let's take this slowly. A Starbucks barista claims to be a baby expert and attempts to lecture a pregnant customer.

讓我們仔細品品,一位星巴克服務員聲稱自己是一位嬰兒專家,並試圖對一位懷孕的顧客進行指導。


Worse, the barista is a man. Because men know so much more about pregnancy than women. About everything, really.

更糟的是,服務員是個男的。因為男人比女人更瞭解懷孕。更瞭解一切,真的。


There was, sadly, more: 

遺憾的是,還有更過分的:


Her: 'It's fine, I have one a day' 

她説:“沒關係,我每天都會喝一杯。”


Him: 'But...you shouldn't'

他:“但是……你不應該喝”


Me: almost spontaneously combusting. 'Are you a man, telling a woman what she should and shouldn't have during a pregnancy?' 

我: 怒火中燒。“你一個男人,在告訴一個女人在懷孕期間應該和不應該做什麼?”


Then he says: 'Oh just because it's bad for the baby so that's why I'm saying it.'

然後他説:“哦,我是因為這對嬰兒不好才一直這麼説的。”


Stevenson said she tried to remonstrate with him, in the forlorn hope that he might, perhaps, be struck with a little self-awareness: 

史蒂文森説,她心存僥倖試着向他提出抗議,希望他也許能有點自知之明。


Then he continues to try and justify policing a complete stranger for 5 minutes. He was maybe 30 years old max.

然後,他又花了五分鐘對一個路人證明自己的正確性。他大約三十幾歲。


Naturally, I asked Starbucks whether it gives specific pregnancy advice training to its employees -- or, indeed, to others it might teach in the coffee-making ways -- and will update, should I hear.

自然,我問星巴克,它是否為員工提供懷孕建議培訓——或者,實際上,是否為其他可能教咖啡製作方法的員工提供此類培訓——如果答案是肯定的,我還會問,那麼培訓是否會持續更新。


A company spokesperson did tell Allure: 

該公司的一位發言人告訴《Allure》雜誌:


We have reason to believe that this was truly a misunderstanding, and the worker was trying to clarify the customer's order.

我們有理由相信這確實是一個誤會,工作人員當時正在努力弄清楚客户的訂單。


Quite some misunderstanding.

這可真是很大的誤解啊。


For what it might be worth, I could find no scientific evidence that coffee in moderation is harmful during pregnancy. 

或許值得注意的是,我沒有發現任何科學證據表明,在懷孕期間適量飲用咖啡是有害的。


今日詞彙

 

overrate

 [,əuvə'reit] 

v. 過高評價




不難看出,這個詞是 over + rate


rate 作名詞是“比率”,作動詞是“評價”。


而 overrate 就是“給予……過高評價”、“把……看得過於重要”。


In my opinion, Hirst's work has been vastly overrated.

在我看來,赫斯特的作品被大大地高估了。




參考鏈接:

https://www.inc.com/chris-matyszczyk/a-starbucks-customer-ordered-a-simple-coffee-then-barista-went-too-far.html


編輯:梅園西牆的王半仙

翻譯:Scarlett



想擁有一口流利英語?

免費體驗口語課程 ↓




↓ 掃描二維碼 ↓

馬上體驗




想要更多免費福利?

點擊【閲讀原文】,立即獲取

↓↓↓

https://hk.wxwenku.com/d/200991842